Cabbage is abundant in vitamins A, C, and K, which can aid with heart health and cholesterol levels. It may even aid in the reduction of blood pressure. It can also aid with digestive problems and inflammation. What an amazing superfood!
Notably, cabbages can be served as a nice side dish o+r added to soups and stews. With a little butter, salt, and pepper, that’s how I enjoy cabbage. Read on as you learn how to cook cabbage in an instant pot – paying attention to the cooking time that works best.
Cabbage Nutrition Facts
Tips on How to Cook Cabbage in Instant Pot
Picking the best cabbages – Cabbage comes in a variety of shapes and sizes, and it belongs to the brassica family, which also includes cauliflower and kale. Red, Savoy, spring, and white types are readily available.
- The purple leaves of red cabbage are firm, firmly packed, and lustrous.
- White cabbage has a similar texture to red cabbage, but its leaves are much lighter and its flavor is sweeter.
- Savoy cabbage leaves are crinkled and wavy, becoming lighter in the middle. Spring cabbage leaves are softer and form a point rather than a circular shape.
The cabbages should be brightly colored and have crisp leaves. So make sure you avoid cabbages that are inflated, have holes in the leaves – an insect may have burrowed its way in – or have had their outer leaves scraped away, as some shops do with cabbages that have lost their freshness. Heavy varieties should have tightly packed leaves.
Clean the cabbages – Start by cleaning and chopping the cabbage before cooking it in the Pressure Cooker. Cut the cabbage in half first. Remove the rough stalks from the cabbage and core it. I remove the core by cutting a “V” shape around it.
Cutting the cabbages – Before cooking, be sure to remove the core from the head. After slicing the head of cabbage in half, remove the core. Cut those portions in half, and you should have four pieces. You should take the larger pieces and cut them into smaller strips.
Prepare the cabbages – Please remember to remove any old or damaged outer leaves, cut the leaves free of the core, and slice out any tough central stalks for loose-leaved varieties. To prevent the color from running when cooking red cabbage, add a little vinegar to the water. Boils for 4-6 minutes, steam for 4-8 minutes, and stir-fries for 2-4 minutes.
How To Cook Cabbage in Instant Pot – You should follow these steps to guide your cooking to perfection:
Step 1: Remove the core and roughly cut the cabbage. Then place it aside.
Step 2: Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the instant pot and set it to sautee. Add the minced garlic and sliced onion, then cook for 2-3 minutes, until the onion, is transparent. Since the pressure cooker cooks quickly, be careful not to burn what you are cooking.
Step 3: Place the chopped cabbage on top of the vegetable broth and leftover butter in the instant pot.
Step 4: Set the instant pot’s lid to seal and turn it on. Cook for 7 minutes on high pressure. Do a rapid release after canceling.
Step 5: Proceed to remove the lid from the instant pot safely once the pin has dropped, and season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Serve with a slotted spoon after stirring.
What to serve with cooked cabbage in the instant pot – You can’t go wrong with the classic combination of corned beef and cabbage. Even some cabbages could benefit from a flavorful corned beef sandwich. Aside from that, cabbage complements a wide range of foods. Smoked sausage is a favorite ingredient of mine, and I use it in a variety of pig, turkey, and chicken dishes.
Notably, if you are only serving a few people or need to preserve the leaves whole for a recipe, peel the leaves off individually, take what you need, and leave the remaining cabbages in the fridge – make sure it is wrapped up. The leaves can then be used whole or shredded as needed.
You should half or quarter the cabbage – place it cut-side down on a board, then chop or shred the leaves – to serve a larger population. You can cut out the tough section of the stem or core first for tougher cabbages, such as red or white cabbages.
View this post on Instagram
How Long to Cook Cabbage in an Instant Pot
Honestly, I prefer 6 minutes since it softens the cabbage without becoming mushy. You can reduce the duration to 4 minutes if you want your cabbage to be more crunchy. With this recipe, my pressure cooker takes about 15 minutes to come to pressure.
|Preparation Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|10 minutes||15 minutes||25 minutes|
- In the Instant Pot, combine the cabbage and onion, they must have been coarsely chopped.
- Pour in the chicken broth after adding some chilled butter, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
- You should stir once or twice, then place the Instant Pot cover on the pot with the vent in the Sealing setting.
- Set the Instant Pot to high pressure for 7 minutes on manual.
- You should allow 5-10 minutes for the Instant Pot to come to pressure before starting the cooking process.
- After the 7-minute cook time has passed, you should carefully Quick Release the pressure and remove the cover.
- Stir the cabbage mixture once more. Remove cabbage from the pot using a slotted spoon and season with kosher salt and black pepper, if preferred.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.
This recipe is fantastic. Plus, when you need something quick, this is the perfect side dish. It’s incredibly buttery and soft, and the texture in the instant pot is incredible. You can watch this video recipe to know how long to cook cabbage in an instant pot.