These scallops are crispy and golden brown after being cooked in butter and oil. What’s more, surprise! You can serve these scallops with almost any dish.
Let me show you how to make scallops that are fully cooked golden brown with a crispy exterior crust, just like you’d find in a restaurant.
Scallops Nutrition Facts
Tips to Cook Scallops Gordon Ramsay
- The texture of Gordon Ramsay’s pan-fried scallops is delicate and buttery. Scallops are known as the “candy of the sea” because of their pleasantly sweet flavor. Plus, they have a reduced-calorie and cholesterol content.
- Scallops are the only shellfish known to contain very little mercury. Make sure you remove the muscle tied to the shallots with the shell before attempting this dish.
- Cook the scallops as the final step before presenting the meal. Everything else should be ready so that the scallops may be served right after they’ve been cooked when they’re at their best.
- Scallops are available in two varieties: wet and dry; opt for the latter. A chemical solution was used to preserve wet sea scallops, which resulted in an off-taste.
- If you’re not sure if the scallops are wet or dry, contact your local grocery fishmonger; if the scallops are frozen, check the package label.
- Sea scallops should always be wiped dry using a paper towel to prevent them from browning.
- This recipe is so easy to make that it requires a few basic ingredients. However, because this is a seasonal recipe, you’ll want to make sure that every ingredient you buy is as fresh as possible so that all of the tastes can shine.
- For the finest results, pick the oil with a high smoke point to achieve temperatures above 450°F. Use avocado, safflower, or soybean oil instead of olive oil because olive oil has the lowest smoke point. You can use clarified butter to impart a rich, full flavor to the scallops.
View this post on Instagram
How to Cook Scallops Gordon Ramsay
Step 1: Remove the scallops’ side muscles
The side muscle is a little tag of muscle tissue that binds the scallop to the shell and may still be present on the scallops. It will feel rough, and its fibers will run in the opposite direction as the rest of the scallop.
Pull it away by pinching it with your thumb and first finger. Don’t worry if you miss one – they’re a little difficult to chew but very safe to consume.
Step 2: Pat dry and season with salt and pepper
You can get some paper towels, then use them to pat the scallops dry. After that, you can proceed to season them generously with salt and pepper all over.
Step 3: Heat the pan
In a large frying pan, melt the butter or olive oil; make sure it is over medium-high heat. You can check if the pan is ready by spraying a few flecks of water – it is ready when the water evaporates on contact.
Step 4: Add the scallops
You can proceed to arrange the scallops in a single layer in the pan – you should try to arrange them about an inch apart.
The first scallop should sizzle when it comes into contact with the pan. If it doesn’t, you should wait a few seconds for the pan to warm up before adding the remaining ingredients. If necessary, work in batches so as to avoid overcrowding the pan.
Step 5: Cook the scallops
Cook the scallops for 2 minutes, undisturbed. You can allow the scallop to cook for a few more seconds if it does not easily release from the pan.
Then proceed to flip the scallops over to the other side.
Step 6: Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes
Cook the scallops for another 2 to 3 minutes on the second side, undisturbed.
The scallops should be golden-brown on both sides and opaque all the way through. The scallops should be firm but somewhat soft to the touch; do not overcook, or the scallops will turn tough and chewy.
Step 7: Serve right away.
While the scallops are still warm, serve them right away.Print
- Make the salad first. The apple should be peeled, cored, and sliced into julienne strips. Season with salt and pepper and combine with the lamb’s lettuce.
- Squeeze over the juice with some lemon zest (reserve a bit for decoration). Drizzle olive oil over the salad and toss well.
- Get 1 tablespoon of olive oil heated in a large nonstick frying pan – over high heat – until blazing hot.
- Then place the scallops on a cutting board, blot dry with kitchen paper, and season with salt and pepper on one side.
- Consider the frying pan to be a clock face, and add the scallops one at a time, seasoned side down, in clockwise order.
- Fry for 1–2 minutes, or until golden brown. Then season the scallops on the unseasoned side, then flip them over in the same order as they were placed in the pan, and continue the process.
- Give the pan a brisk shake after squeezing the lemon juice over the scallops.
- When the scallops are done, remove them from the pan and place them on a plate coated with kitchen paper.
- The cooking will come to a halt immediately, and any surplus oil will be absorbed by the kitchen paper.
- Proceed to divide the salad between two serving dishes and place the scallops in the center of each mound.
- Serve immediately with the remaining lemon zest as a garnish.
Watch this video recipe to know how to cook Scallops Gordon Ramsay.