Have you ever wondered how long pork loin should be cooked for and at what temperature? Pork’s cooking time varies depending on size/thickness, method, and cut type. This is why we’ve put up an easy-to-follow guide that informs you what temperature your oven, barbeque, or slow cooker should be set at, as well as how long you should cook pork to reach a safe internal temperature.
Cooking pork loin may just be straightforward with this step-by-step guide. This article is also jam-packed with tips to prepare an excellent pork loin recipe, plus cooking times to monitor your cooking.
Pork Loin Nutrition Facts
Tips to Cook a 2 Lb Pork Loin
Follow these tips if you want the best out of your pork loin recipes:
The right internal temperature – Some individuals prefer their pork to be cooked to perfection. This is because it was once suggested that pork be cooked to 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
If you want your pork to be well done, choose the 160-degree temperature setting. If you want it juicy and slightly pink in the middle, 145° is the way to go. This will take 20-25 minutes per pound for a 3-5 pound roast. We recommend cooking yours at 135-140°F. But to be safe, a temperature of 145°F and a time of 20-25 minutes per pound is recommended.
To cover your pork loin or not – Some beef joints need to be covered to prevent them from drying out or browning too much. This is not an issue with pork loins because the fat keeps it nice and moist, and you want the top of the skin to crisp up.
If you remove the skin to make crackling separately, you may wish to cover the meat at the end of the cooking process to prevent it from burning.
Cover the pork loin while it rests – After the pork loin has completed cooking, you may want to cover it to keep it warm while it rests. Resting the meat is necessary since it makes it more moist and succulent. Also, remove the crackling before covering it in foil so that any steam that escapes from the joint does not soften the crackling.
To ensure that the skin is perfectly crisp, remove it from the meat at the end and place it in the oven on its own (while the meat rests) at a higher temperature.
How to Cook a 2 Lb Pork Loin
There are different methods to choose from when cooking a pork loin, some of these methods have been described below:
Cooking a 2 Lb Pork Loin on the Grill
- Preheat the grill to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Set the left and right barbecue dials to MEDIUM and turn off the central portion.
- Over indirect heat, cook the pork roast. This implies that your pork roast should be positioned on the side of the grill that does not receive direct heat.
- When cooking a pork loin, make sure to keep the lid closed on the grill.
- Then on the grill, cook pork roast for around 25-30 minutes per pound – that is 50 minutes to 1 hour for a 2 lb pork loin.
- Alternatively, you can cook until the internal temperature reaches 155 degrees Fahrenheit, then cool to a final temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
View this post on Instagram
Cooking a 2 Lb Pork Loin in an Instant Pot
- Set the Instant Pot to “Saute” mode and proceed to pour in just enough oil to lightly coat the bottom. Notably, the pork loin should be browned on both sides.
- In the bottom of the pot, you can proceed to place a trivet and ¼ cup of liquid of your choice.
- High-Pressure Cook Time: 25 Minutes – time-based on a 2 lb pork loin. Then allow for a natural pressure drop of 8-10 minutes before releasing the valve.
- Alternatively, you can cook the pork loin until the internal temperature reaches 155 degrees Fahrenheit, then cool to a final temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The length of time it takes to pressure cook a roast is determined by its thickness. If in doubt, use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature.
Cooking a 2 Lb Pork Loin in the Oven
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Then proceed to bake the pork loin uncovered for 25-30 minutes per pound – this will be about 50 minutes to 1 hour for a 2 lb pork loin.
- Alternatively, you can cook the pork loin until the internal temperature reaches 155°F, then rest until the temperature reaches 160°F.
Cooking Time for Pork Loin
The cooking time for a 2lb pork loin will typically be determined by the method you choose to use. Follow these timing guidelines to cook a 2lb pork loin:
|Cooking procedure||Cooking time|
|Grilling a 2lb pork loin||50 minutes to 1 hour at 325 F indirect heat|
|Cooking a 2lb pork loin in the instant pot||25 minutes on high-pressure cook time|
|Cooking a 2lb pork loin in the oven||50 minutes to 1 hour at 325 F|
- Set the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and allow it to heat up.
- Combine ½ teaspoon of black pepper, ½ teaspoon of garlic powder, and ¼ teaspoon of salt in a small mixing bowl. This mixture should then be sprinkled all over the pork loin. Rub it all over until it’s completely coated.
- In a roasting pan, place the roast on a rack. If you don’t have a rack that will fit in your roasting pan, try three celery stalks instead.
- Place the roast in the oven. Allow it to roast until the internal temperature reaches 145°F-160°F.
- Allow for 30 minutes of resting time after covering the roasting pan with foil.
- Crank up the oven’s heat to 475°F. Remove the thermometer and uncover the roast. Place it in a clean pan and roast for 10 minutes more.
- If desired, you can use those 10 extra roasting minutes to prepare your gravy. Make a basic gravy with the drippings from your first roasting pan if you have great roasting juices. You can still create gravy without drippings if you didn’t get juices.
- Remove the roast from the oven, carve it, and serve it right away.
If you’d like to see more ways to cook a 2 lb pork loin, watch this video recipe.