Beef cube steak is a very excellent choice on what to eat every once in a while. Not only are these bad boys tender and juicy, but they’re also very cheap in the market; you can get about four medium cube steaks for just 5 dollars or even less!
You don’t have to wait until you’re having dinner with your family and friends to cook this amazing recipe too, you can practically cook it any time of the day. This recipe is relatively easy to follow once you get the cooking procedures and the adequate timing guidelines on how to cook satisfactory beef cubes right.
And you’re in luck! Because in this here article, we’ll be taking you through the two main steps and easy-to-follow guidelines, including tips and instructions on how to make perfection out of your beef cube steaks.
Cube Steaks Nutrition Facts
Tips for Cooking Beef Cube Steaks
Sauté your onions – to add more flavoring to your beef cube steaks, cut up onions— and some other vegetables of your choice if you wish— and sauté them in a little bit of butter or margarine, or any cooking oil like olive oil or avocado oil before you start on your meat.
Use some flour – after seasoning your beef cube steaks, bathe them in flour. This prevents the meat from sticking to the pan too much if you’re not using a non-stick pan. It also helps in tenderizing and browning the surface of the meat when cooking.
Also, you can sprinkle some flour on the pan of oil to check the heat. If the flour sizzles up in the oil, it indicates that the pan is hot and ready to take in the beef cube steaks.
Don’t overcrowd your pan – overcrowding the pan prevents the beef cubes from cooking properly because there is little space between them. To ensure they’re adequately browned in the pan and they’re cooked on all sides, give the beef cubes some spacing when they’re cooking both in the pan and in the oven.
If you’re cooking a lot of beef cube steaks, you can cook them in batches since they don’t take very long to prepare.
Rest your meat – after cooking the cubed beef in the pan, turn off the gas and allow the meat to rest in its juices. This allows the meat to be able to absorb its juices back while cooling off.
Also, after the beef cubes are out of the oven, rest them for a couple of minutes before you serve because they will be very hot.
Don’t throw away the flour – after browning the cube steaks in the pan, you can save the leftover flour for thickening your gravy. It doesn’t completely have to go to waste; the flavor from the used flour will aid in adding more flavor to the gravy.
You can use foil – if you can’t find a lid for your pan when it goes into the oven, you can always use a sheet of foil and press down on the corners of the pan. This works excellently with the pan, and you don’t have to worry about the foil tearing up in the oven.
Side dishes – even if you’re cooking beef cube steaks for just yourself or a small number of people, you can add side dishes. There is a truckload of great side dishes to try with your meat. You can use boiled rice, corn, beans, mashed potatoes, or whatever you’re cooking at that moment.
View this post on Instagram
Cooking Time for Beef Cube Steaks
Below we have compiled the necessary timing guidelines you should utilize when attempting to cook a beef cube steak dish.
|Cooking procedure||Cooking time|
|Cooking beef cube steaks on the stovetop||8 minutes|
|Cooking beef cube steaks in the oven at 350° F||45 minutes|
- 4 slices (1 lb) of cube beef steak
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp of margarine or butter
- 1½ cup of flour
- ½ cup of cooking oil
- 1 can of beef broth
- Cream of mushroom soup, 1 can
- 1 tsp of Kitchen Banquet
- Take the onion slices and sauté them in a pan of margarine or butter for about 5 minutes, or until they’re browned. Set the onions aside.
- Place the beef steaks on a flat surface and sprinkle with the seasonings. You can reduce or increase the quantity of seasoning you add based on your preference. Use a packet of sazon spice on one side of each beef steak and the second packet on the other side.
- Next, place the beef cube steaks in flour and press down gently so they can absorb the flour better. Coat the beef steaks completely with the flour.
- Pour ½ a cup of cooking oil into a pan and let it get hot. If you’re unsure about when the pan is really hot, sprinkle some flour on the oil and if the flour sizzles to nothing, your pan is hot enough to take the beef steaks.
- Put your beef steaks into the pan, shaking off the excess flour, and cook on both sides for 8 minutes; 4 minutes on each side. Remember, you’re not fully cooking the beef steaks on the stovetop, this process is just to get the sides brown enough. Cook at medium heat.
- Once the beef steaks are a little shrunk and browned on both sides, take them out and set them aside.
- Add a tablespoon of flour into the pan of leftover cooking oil and flour, and mix well with a wooden spoon. Add another tablespoon of flour to the mix and stir together.
- Take out a bowl and combine both cans of beef broth and cream of mushroom soup. Turn on the heat on your flour mixture. Pour the beef broth and cream of mushroom mix into the pan. Stir again with a wooden spoon.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Add the sautéd onions to the pan and 1 teaspoon of Kitchen Banquet or any other darkening seasoning you have. Stir again for about a minute and then add in your beef steaks. Cover up the visible parts of the meat with the pan mixture.
- Put the pan into the oven and cook for 45 minutes at 350° Fahrenheit. You can cover the pan with a lid or a foil sheet.
- After 45 minutes, take out the pan with an oven mitt and leave it to rest on the counter for 2 minutes, just to allow it to absorb back its juices in the gravy. The gravy should be thick because of the flour in it.
- You can serve it with the gravy on any side dish of your choice.
This recipe for beef cube steak is very easy to follow and it’s sure to produce good results too. If you want more tips on how to cook beef cube steak, make sure you watch this video