This is a fantastic pork chop recipe that eliminates all of the fat from pan-frying. This dish is so popular with my family and friends that I’m not allowed to make pork chops any other way. For a complete dish, you can serve it with cheesy mashed potatoes and a veggie.
Notably, the butterfly cut gets its name from the shape’s resemblance to butterfly wings. I promise you, they are ideal for preparing mouthwatering pork chops. Read on as you learn some excellent tips and a good guide on how to cook butterfly pork chops to perfection.
Pork Chops Nutrition Facts
Tips on How to Cook Butterfly Pork Chops
Preferred pork chops to use – Thick pork chops are used to make these braised butterflied pork chops. To make the dish, use chops that are about 1½ inches thick. You should look for reddish-pink meat and white fat when purchasing pork chops. Grayish chops and chops with yellow fat should be avoided.
You may either purchase them already cut or cut them yourself. Pork loin chops with a thickness of more than two inches are required for the latter procedure. You must cut through its side – horizontally – and halt right before reaching the opposite side. Leave it uncut so that when you open the cut, two wings will be on opposite sides.
Though, pork chops on the bone or thinner chops can also be used in this dish. There’s no need to butterfly these braised pork chops if they’re bone-in or less than 1 inch thick.
Tenderize the pork chops – A meat tenderizer or acidic fruit juices such as lime, lemon, or pineapple juice can be used. Because the acid penetrates the meat and breaks down the protein, the pork chops become soft.
How to Cook Butterfly Pork Chops – Butterfly pork chops are easy to cook in a skillet on the stovetop but don’t overcook them because they dry out quickly. When a meat thermometer reads 145 degrees Fahrenheit, the chops are done.
You can follow this step-by-step guide to help cook butterfly pork chops.
- In a skillet:
- Get 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil, then heat in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Brown the pork chops on both sides in the same pan. It’s possible that you’ll have to perform this in two batches, so you can remove the chops from the pan and place them on a dish.
- In the same pan, melt another tablespoon of butter; you can add the onion and cook for 3 minutes until transparent.
- Then proceed to combine the flour and mustard in a mixing bowl. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- You can now slowly pour in the heated beef broth, diced pickle, and lemon juice, stirring frequently.
- Proceed to continue to cook for another 5 minutes, make sure you are stirring often. You can taste the sauce and season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Go ahead and return the pork chops to the skillet and top with the sauce.
- Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, covered, over low heat, or until pork chops are tender. (Pork should be cooked to a minimum temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit. Pork that has been cooked to temperatures above 170 degrees Fahrenheit will be dry.)
- Cooking the butterfly pork chops in an oven – You can follow this step-by-step guide to bake the butterfly pork chops in an oven instead.
- The butterfly pork chops should be rinsed and cleaned.
- After that, you should pat them dry and season them with garlic powder and salt.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and set them aside.
- Then coat the chops in flour, then dip them in eggs before coating them with a thick layer of bread crumbs.
- Now, in a skillet, heat the olive oil and fry the pork chops for around ten minutes (five minutes for each side).
- Place the browned pork chops in a baking dish and remove them from the heat. Preheat the oven to 350° F and cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake for about an hour.
The sauce – To make the sauce, whisk together the cream of mushroom soup, white wine, and milk in a mixing bowl. You can remove the foil from the pork chops and pour the mushroom soup mixture over the cooked chops.
You should cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and continue baking at 350° F for another 30 minutes. As soon as you remove your butterfly pork chops from the oven, serve them hot.
View this post on Instagram
How Long to Cook Butterfly Pork Chops
|Preparation Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|10 minutes||35 minutes||45 minutes|
Top 3 Ingredients For Cook Butterfly Pork Chops
[amazon box=”B00L9X6M6I,B074J7X1DW,B074H67H5C” grid=”3″]Print
- 2 butterflied pork chops (¾ inch thick and 3 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 cup of apple juice or cider (divided)
- 1 teaspoon of rubbed sage
- ¾ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of pepper
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (peeled and cut into ½ inch slices)
- 1 green onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 medium tart apple (peeled, cored, and cut into ¼ inch rings)
- 2 teaspoons of cornstarch
- Brown pork chops in butter in a large skillet and drain. Remove from the skillet and set aside to keep heated.
- Go ahead and combine ¾ cup of apple juice, sage, salt, and pepper in the same skillet.
- Then proceed to combine the sweet potatoes and green onion in a large mixing bowl.
- Bring the water to a boil. Then reduce the temperature.
- Cook for 10 minutes with the lid on, then add the apple rings and pork chops.
- Cover and cook for 13-15 minutes, or until the apple rings and sweet potatoes are soft and the pork meat has lost its pink color.
- Transfer the pork chops, sweet potatoes, and apple to serving plates with a slotted spoon; keep warm.
- Combine the cornstarch and the remaining apple juice in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Stir in the pan juices gradually. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low heat and cook, stirring constantly, for 1-2 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened. The pork chops, sweet potatoes, and an apple should be served with this sauce.
The sliced apple and sweet potatoes that accompany these delicate pork chops remind me of a crisp fall day, but this hearty main meal, served with salad and dinner rolls, is delicious any time of year. You can watch this video recipe to know to cook butterfly pork chop